Symptoms of vaginismus
Typical statements from women suffering from vaginismus, before therapy:
- My sex life is not satisfying; I am not able to have intercourse.
- I feel pain during intercourse.
- I experience a burning sensation around the genital area.
- Inserting tampons is really hurts.
- I’m afraid to see a gynecologist.
- I think there is something wrong with my body.
- I don`t think I´m normal. I want to be a healthy woman.
- A doctor once asked if I was ever sexually abused as a child, but I wasn`t.
- Trying to relax doesn’t help, nor does drinking alcohol.
- I’m afraid to lose my boyfriend/ spouse.
- I’ve already tried many therapies without any luck.
Typical statements of boyfriends/spouses:
- I can’t get my penis in very far.
- I push up against some kind of wall.
- The vagina is closed off or ends there.
- I don’t want to hurt my girlfriend/wife.
- I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.
- I wonder if there is something wrong with me.
- Maybe she doesn`t love me enough.
- I sometimes struggle with erectile dysfunction because I`ve lost my drive.
- When we attempt to have intercourse, I just know it`s not going to work, which very frustrating.